Concerning a major bug in the gpsmap 276Cx (and one less important one)
– FW 2.30, audio 2.10
– ID 3930490199 (pre-production)
– SD CN NT 2017.1 (same map used in Basecamp)
– GPS in demo, virtual location at route starting point
– routes activated using the NAV button
Attached: demo-route, built in Basecamp; using only few routing (or shaping) points, only to maximize visualisation of the problem – it will occur with almost any route.
1. major bug : basic route import
– after import in the 276Cx the route is exactly the same as original (177km) – regardless of navigation-settings of the device
– after import in the 276Cx the route is ALWAYS recalculated, using the routing/shaping points but using the navigation settings. Depending on settings route-length will vary from 177 to 567 (!!) km. (the last one is in motorcycle mode with basic-settings)
Screenshots – same original route. Result depending on unit settings:
– The user mostly has no information on which settings were used in the original route
– routingsettings in Basecamp will behave differently from the devices anyway (e.g. avoidance of build up, using ‘adventurous’ etc).
– The user should be able to rely on perfect route-integrity
The effect is the same as we had in earlier days, with the 276C and Streetpilot WHEN USING DIFFERENT MAPS/MAP-VERSIONS. To prevent this from happening users were always advised to recalculate there routes in mapsource on there own map-version, before sending it to the device. The Zumo behaviour is much more intelligent and also accepts routes built in other map-versions, even other maps; with intact route-integrity.
However: in the 276Cx even working on the same map doesn’t help – the route will allways be recalculated; even when using the same map-version.
Combined with the limitation of 50 via’s this is a big handicap degrading the route-import quality to what we had in the first tomtom riders!
Note: due to a much denser road network this issue might be more important in Europe than in US. Just following the via’s/shaping points simply is not enough. You should avoid calculation or use the xml between shaping points, like the Zumo does.